Traductor
Units converter
Advertising
Quotes on line
2015 CONEXPO LATINAMERICA
2015 World Crane and Transport Summit
2014 International Cranes and Transport Latin America
World of Concrete 2015


   Search News
RSS
World Cup projects lagging behind, warns TCU minister (Brazil)
2011-04-14
Infrastructure projects to prepare Brazil for the 2014 World Cup are falling behind schedule, according to federal audit court (TCU) minister Valmir Campelo.

 

Original forecasts estimated that 80% of the work would be completed by December 2012 and the remaining 20% by 1H13. However, of the estimated 33bn-real (US$20.9bn) budget, only about 5.3bn reais has been invested so far, local news service Agência Estado reported.

 

The government had earmarked some 5.5bn reais for improvements at 13 airports, with work due to be completed by end-2013.

 

However, work has begun at just four facilities: Galeão international airport in Rio de Janeiro, Guarulhos international airport in São Paulo, Viracopos international airport in São Paulo state's Campinas city, and the Natal international airport in Rio Grande do Norte state.

 

The minister also expressed concern about the condition of stadiums, highlighting the example of São Paulo, the only host city that has yet to begin demolition or construction work.

 

"São Paulo is a state that cannot miss hosting the World Cup and will not miss it, but I am concerned about the delays," Campelo said.


Send this publication to a friend




More news
Shakeup at Ferrobaires over February accident (Argentina)
Argentina's Buenos Aires provincial government has replaced several high-ranking officials at state-owned rail operator Ferrobaires following a rail accident in February this year. ...
Paraíba pushing to speed up PAC projects (Brazil)
Brazil's federal and Paraíba state governments are discussing projects under the country's growth acceleration plan (PAC) aimed at improving transportation logistics in the northeastern stat ...
Interoceánica Sur generating US$3bn - Ositran (Peru)
Peru's 2,500km Interoceánica Sur highway has generated economic benefits of over US$3bn for the country, according to transport regulator Ositran president Juan Carlos Zevallos. ...