Argentine state-owned rail operator Ferrobaires is increasing safety measures on its services until an investigation determines the causes of a railway accident that took place on February 16, a company spokesperson told BNamericas.
The decision was made after a train travelling between districts Retiro and Junín collided with another on the San Martín line between districts Retiro and Pilar, operated by Ugofe.
Planning minister Julio de Vido has blamed Ferrobaires for the crash, which killed five and injured scores of passengers, most of which were travelling on the San Martín line. Two Ferrobaires drivers were arrested following the incident.
Preliminary investigations found that two of the Retiro-Junín train's brakes were deactivated; however, this should not have prevented the vehicle from stopping, according to the spokesperson. Further investigations are expected to determine the cause of the accident.
Given that neither one of the vehicles derailed, the line did not suffer any damage and the San Martín railway resumed normal services last week, a Ugofe spokesperson said.
Ugofe is comprised of the companies Ferrovías, Metrovías and Trenes de Buenos Aires.