Traductor
Units converter
Advertising
Quotes on line
2015 CONEXPO LATINAMERICA
2015 World Crane and Transport Summit
2014 International Cranes and Transport Latin America
World of Concrete 2015


   Search News
RSS
Infrastructure investments seen firm despite US$30bn federal budget cut (Brazil)
2011-02-22

Brazil's infrastructure sector is unlikely to be seriously affected by the 50bn-real (US$30.0bn) federal budget cut announced by the government in February, Fernando Gentil, director of the Brazilian branch of US private equity firm Darby Overseas Investments, told BNamericas.

"Looking at the big picture, it's a good decision. As a private investor, I expect its impact on infrastructure investment to be mediocre," Gentil said.

"Look at national development bank BNDES. It's one of the largest credit providers and continues to function with or without budget cuts," Gentil added.

For 2011, Brazil's government has earmarked a total of 171bn reais for infrastructure, of which 40.2bn reais will come from growth acceleration plan PAC.

While the government has pledged not to cut PAC funds, there is enough private capital to go around, the executive added. BNDES president Luciano Coutinho has said he expects private bank lending to improve during 2011.

On average, only 20% of Brazil's infrastructure investments come from project operators, while the remaining 80% are funded by financial institutions.

Darby, a division of Franklin Templeton Investments, manages some US$2.6bn in assets. The firm completed fundraising for its Brazil Mezzanine Infrastructure Fund in 2008, with total capital commitments of 388mn reais.


Send this publication to a friend




More news
Shakeup at Ferrobaires over February accident (Argentina)
Argentina's Buenos Aires provincial government has replaced several high-ranking officials at state-owned rail operator Ferrobaires following a rail accident in February this year. ...
Paraíba pushing to speed up PAC projects (Brazil)
Brazil's federal and Paraíba state governments are discussing projects under the country's growth acceleration plan (PAC) aimed at improving transportation logistics in the northeastern stat ...
Interoceánica Sur generating US$3bn - Ositran (Peru)
Peru's 2,500km Interoceánica Sur highway has generated economic benefits of over US$3bn for the country, according to transport regulator Ositran president Juan Carlos Zevallos. ...