The Uruguayan government expects to carry out a tender to concession a second container terminal at capital Montevideo's port in 2014, the project evaluation manager of the country's national development corporation (CND), Marcelo Perez, told BNamericas.
The government will draw up new bidding rules for the project, which was initially expected to be concessioned this year. The new terminal is now expected to be completed by end-2016, Perez said.
Authorities are currently working on a private investment law that is expected to be approved by congress in 2011, spurring more concession projects in the country.
A law was passed in 2009 to concession the new terminal in Montevideo; however, the tender process experienced a series of setbacks.
The 30-year concession was assigned to a public entity that was then offered for sale at auction, with the aim of speeding up the process, BNamericas reported previously.
The buyer was required to offer a minimum of US$1.2mn to purchase 100% of the shares of the new company, which would then be responsible for the terminal's design, construction, maintenance and operation.
On March 17, national port authority ANP declared the process void, after the auction held at the Montevideo stock exchange failed to attract any bidders.
Marcelo Perez was speaking at the BNamericas Southern Cone Infrastructure Summit, held in capital Santiago from October 6-8.